Sunday, November 16, 2008

Concert fever

After Amsterdam, a bizarre week. Sunday night, right after arriving, I went to a Vampire Weekend concert, coincidentally only a few blocks away from where I live. It would have been an amazing concert had I: a. had a friend with me (concerts alone? Not so fun), and b. arrived earlier. Alas, I arrived right before the set and the floor was full, so I had to stay in the balcony. Bummer. That, and it was a Sunday. Who in their right mind would plan a concert for Sunday, my least favorite day of the week (work = ew ew ew)? Assholes, all of 'em.

Wednesday, however, my friends and I got tickets for a MGMT afterparty at the Social Club, by far my favorite place to "go out" in Paris. Alas, not really a concert, as MGMT was only DJ-ing, but an extremely memorable evening nonetheless. Hit me up for stories, 'cause I've got plenty.


So you might be wondering: when the hell does Julia do her work? To which my reply would be, half-jokingly, "What work?" Because though I do currently have 4 classes under my belt, none of them approach the commitment and work level that Columbia University has. Besides, every single assignment (excepting my Reid Hall courses) is due in December. This gives me plenty of free time, although I am always stressing in some form or other about December.

Because, whether I like to think about it or not, I have a little over a month left in this beautiful city, and I'm not quite ready to leave it. Sure, I miss American things-- bacon cheeseburgers, greasy fries, public transportation that doesn't stop running, friendliness, skyscrapers-- but I can't imagine a world without 400 types of government cheeses. And people playing the accordion in metro stations. And the ability to wear ridiculous clothing on a day-to-day basis because, hey, it's Paris, and if I want to wear a fedora then I'll wear a fucking fedora, damn it.

Until that regrettable day comes (T minus 36 days), it'll continue to be concert fever for me. I've already seen Justice, Coldplay, Vampire Weekend, and MGMT. I've already got Ratatat tickets for next weekend and I'm going to try to sneak into TV on the Radio. For now, life is good.

No comments: