Monday, September 8, 2008

First Day of Class

So, as the title describes, today I started my 3-week intensive language practicum. Let me tell ya kids, it was not easy. Not easy at all. As far as pronunciation goes I'm much better than I used to be, but grammar has always been my Achilles' heel. Actually, I have several Achilles' heels, so unless Achilles miraculously grew extra ankles, hydra-like, it's easier to say that I suck at French.

Sometimes, when I'm alone in the house (not this one, I'm too embarrassed to do it), I take out a French book and start reading aloud. I comprehend next to nothing, but just practice the pronunciation. It's very nerdy but I like it a lot... although it's somehow egotistical to enjoy the sound of your own voice. Of course, when in class my voice gets tangled and apprehensive, and I do fewer liaisons and suck more in general. Bof.

In other news: never again will I drink 1 1/2 bottles of wine. I've never been fully drunk on wine before, but I tell you, Saturday night I was gone. Gone gone gone. Not-being-able-to-walk-straight gone. Well, now I know my limits. It was horrifically embarrassing seeing the kids you went out with the last night the next day at school, and them asking you, "How are you... today?" while wincing slightly. Mortifying. In better news, I am getting much better at tasting and classifying wines. I can now detect "woody," "floral," or "tannic," "bitter," "fruity" etc. Most of it is bullshit, I'm sure, but I sound much cooler.

I have yet to go into the Louvre. My first time trying, I stared at the outside. My second, I waited for an hour in the ticket line and gave up. Well, third time's the charm, right? But I'm getting antsy, so hopefully that'll happen sometime soon.

There's the possibility of going to a Coldplay concert tomorrow! Oh gosh. Coldplay in Paris? Seems a little strange, but could be fun! If we could scalp tickets, that is (is that the term? scalping tickets? am I making this up?).

Wish me luck!

P.S. I am in LOOOVE with the Notre Dame. The back view especially:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They did a study on the whole wine tasting thing with a bunch of critics. For the same wines, all the critics had completely different descriptors picked out.

So yes, it IS bullshit.

Also there was another test done that compared some cheaper wines with expensive ones, and the cheaper wines rated just as good as the pricey stuff when no one knew which was which.