Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Richard Avedon

I am a firm believer in the transformative power of sleep and good dreams. And, afraid of a second sleepless night, was happy to find myself refreshed and ready to roll after one particularly lucid dream about Michael Sera. Huzzah!

Today: my first visit to a museum, plus my first sighting (however distant) of the Eiffel Tower. The Jeu de Paume at the Place de la Concorde had a Richard Avedon exhibit that I absolutely fell in love with. Once again, I found myself in the embarrassing but inevitable situation of being "that kid"-- the one that asks too many questions, that actually listens to the guide. Who says things like, "C'est un peu Dali-esque, n'est pas?" or makes absurd references to Chuck Close, or nods ferociously when the guide asks if anyone knows anything about Andy Warhol's Factory. The kid with eyes the size of dinner plates that looks like she's going to explode if you expose her to one more glorious photograph. (If you think I'm pretentious, just take me to a museum. M'dear, you haven't seen nothin' yet. Oh, and expect to stay hours. And check out the gift shop).

My faves of the exhibit:








(I would kill to have a copy of this set in my future living room)




















To conclude, a classic:



3 comments:

Oscar G. said...

Don't be embarrassed to ask around just go ahead and do it. Assuming the stereotypes the French might be a lot more helpful and understanding that people back home.

PS
Forgot I had an account on this

Anonymous said...

Avedon was a fantstic photographer so you shouldn't be embarrassed to apreciate his work. it's the others who are boring because they don't understand the meaning of a well composed photography with more feelings than anything else.

//Sophie

Justin said...

Please don't mooch my badwidth. Host the images on your own server. Thanks. Do you know the power I have over your website when you post images hosted on my server. Oh the laughs I can have! LOL