Thursday, October 2, 2008

Learning to faire la cuisine

Yesterday night I had my "atelier de cuisine," a free cooking class offered by the Columbia Program. GOD I love free stuff! Thank you, enormously over-funded Ivy League of pretentiousness!

Completely by chance, the cooking class was at the home of a Polish expatriate, a mere FIVE MINUTE WALK from my adorably french abode. Ok, ten minute walk, but it's still close, damn it. And oh, what an evening! I can now say with confidence that I know how to separate the egg white from the yolk. What a feat, I know. Then again, few of you really know how incompetent I am with cooking. I'm worse than Carrie Bradshaw (not really. I actually stir-fry quite well. And microwave. And omelets? I make good omelets? Maybe? Ok, I'm rationalizing).

I was alone with two girls and Mme Tarnowska, the chef, who was actually an antiques dealer. Which of course means she was loaded, which of course means her apartment was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen. Like mine, but better heated, and with red carpeting and Picasso-escque sculptures and interesting picture frames. Perfect. More beautiful than anything I'd ever seen in an Ikea catalogue, that's for sure.

The menu for the night: Allumettes de Fromage (little crouton-esque cheese puffs), Soupe provencale (yummmm), and souffle au citron. Souffle! Ladies and gentlemen, I know now how to make souffle. Which means: I can make either very simple dishes, or these awfully complex three, and nothing in the middle. I can make brownies that come from a box, and I can make souffle, but I can't make pie. I can make the soup of southern France, but I can't even make chicken. You get the idea.

Unfortunately, I did not take any new pictures. Worry not, touristy activities will resume in the near future. Je promets!

In other news, I am continually annoyed with the flakyness of my fellow travellers. If you say you're going to Amsterdam, you damn well should be going to Amsterdam. Here I am with tickets, and you decide to go to Barcelona. And then... what? Munich? Oh damn. If only people would just tell me these things in advance! I have too much of my Jewish mother in me to plan spur-of-the-moment vacations. I die without my yearly planner. No, seriously. I think my blood pressure falls when it isn't within reach.

Well, here's to pleasant voyages, I suppose. Amsterdam ahoy! In 10 days, that is. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amsterdam? omg, that's awesome. think of all the legal fun!